Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Best Ever Lowdham Festival

If there is one weekend that I have to leave free in a year, it's the last weekend of the Lowdham festival which heralds an all day book fair and cafe and free author talks.

I'm the biggest nerd when it comes to this weekend!  I always wait in anticipation for the itinerary to come out and then carefully schedule my day to make sure I get to see everyone that I can.   This was my 5th year in attendance and my busiest yet as I had a full day's worth of author talks to attend and also, hopefully, many books to purchase.

The first presentation was from  Will Buckingham; a novelist and De Montfort University Lecturer, who gave an interesting talk  on the premise of a novel.  In particularly his thought about where a writer would choose to sit in the scale of things; do they aspire to be a J K Rowling or are they quite happy being a lesser known writer?

My next presentation was Christy Fern.  I love this woman and her partner to bits.  They make history all that more interesting and bring tales of old to life with their animated presentations.  This year's was no different with a wonderful presentation on Mary Shelley and always a lively discussion afterwards.

































My third presentation was Emma Bamford.  I was intrigued as soon as I read the description in the brochure. A girl running away to a desert island, what was all that about?  A full hour's worth of wonderful stories about sailing half way round the world and the adventures along the way - I was riveted!

































Last but not least was Danny Rhodes, a man who you could quite easily spend an evening in his company reminiscing about football games long gone.  A book written about the events of Hillsborough but from a Forest fan's perspective was an original concept and the hour spent listening to a man who's passion for the sport was uncompromising was incredible.  I went away with a hundred memories filtering through my brain about the time spent at the City Ground and various other grounds around the country.


































I have to say that I think this has been the best year yet for Lowdham and I think 2015 will be a hard act to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment